Important Notice | June 2018
Dear Valued Client
Real Pay DebiCheck Update:
SARB Draft Amended Directive
The DebiCheck project is characterised by complexity and challenges impacting system functionality and stability. An amended draft Directive was issued by the SARB to industry stakeholders earlier this week, and after several User inquiries we provide the following short update.
Industry consultation in recent weeks resulted in the current milestone dates of DebiCheck to be considered against functionality and stability factors having the potential to impact the markets. Although industry and the SARB are set on achieving the end state of DebiCheck as the only early collections stream, these issues have been raised to the SARB. During an industry joint session, it announced the possible reconsideration of the existing milestone dates, specifically 1 February 2019 and 31 October 2019.
Pertinent date amendments contained in the draft Directive include:
- Current – 31 October 2019: AC, NAEDO and AEDO to process simultaneously in the early morning processing window;
- 1 November 2019 – 31 October 2020: Proceed to process AEDO and NAEDO instructions in the early window, subject to AC debit orders and AEDO instructions being given priority over NAEDO instructions;
- 1 May 2020 – 31 October 2020: No origination of new NAEDO and AEDO instructions; and
- 31 October 2020: End date of processing any NAEDO and AEDO instructions (“sunset date”).
It is important to note that the finalised Directive post-industry input required by 30 November 2018, is still to be approved by the SARB. Furthermore, the SARB requires PASA to prepare an AC implementation plan with clearly defined phases and timelines for approval by the SARB to monitor the implementation plan and the participants’ progress therein.
Real Pay’s perspective:
- Real Pay, via our technical associations, CIBA and the EDO PSSF, will continue to provide input to the draft Directive to the SARB as required by 30 November 2018.
- Real Pay regards the proposed date extensions as an opportunity to achieve further improved stability in the interbank system and allowing for an orderly transition to DebiCheck while addressing functional and technical challenges relating to non-face-to-face authentication as well as Payer contactability.
- Consumer education and training remain key to Payer adoption and will benefit from the proposed time frame.
Real Pay went live with DebiCheck on 1 August 2018 with both our sponsoring banks, Absa and FNB, catering for all three mandatory transaction types:
- Transaction Type 1 – Real Time (Real-time and delayed);
- Transaction Type 2 – Batch (Non-face-to-face); and
- Transaction Type 3 – Card (Face-to-face).
Onboarding is progressing well, with relevant Users advancing to and participating in the controlled pilot phase. Technical discussions with our integrated partners are concluded on a weekly basis.
Regarding the controlled pilot, a positive increase in success is achieved with our Users in the pilot production environment. DebiCheck system training with our Users that are already on board is progressing well enabling Users to load DebiCheck transactions and to familiarise themselves with the Real Pay interface. The pilot experience is contributing towards refinement and optimisation in Users’ business processes and procedures.
We remind Users who have not yet completed the onboarding documentation, to contact Real Pay at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that you are DebiCheck ready.
Real Pay remains focused to stay ahead of the pack regarding DebiCheck implementation and deriving the benefits of early adoption. Even though industry is allowed some space to manoeuvre regarding milestone dates, we remain committed to maintain the momentum to get Users on board, ensure successful participation in the pilot and implement the most advanced DebiCheck system in South Africa!
All Users, please note:
Our Terms and Conditions have been updated to incorporate the DebiCheck payments stream, “DebiCheck” and its associated phases, “Production-Pilot”, “Ramp-Up” and “Migration”. Follow the link to the Real Pay login portal to view the updated Terms and Conditions: https://www.realpaycollect.com
Should you have any further queries regarding the content of this newsflash, please contact your Key Account Manager or send an email to email@example.com.
The Real Pay Team